Sunday, October 4, 2009

I know, I know...

...it's been forever!! Don't get your panties in a wad Grandpa CR!!

It's been a hell of a few weeks around here. The last post courtesy of Joel eluded to the fact that I was sick. I was puking my guts up to be exact for about 12 hours, then I felt like I had been hit by a bus for about 3-4 days after the puking stopped. And to make life even more fun, almost exactly 24 hours after I started barfing, Dean started in - ALL OVER his bed!!! What is it about a 2-yr-old that makes it impossible for them to puke IN the small bucket you're holding directly in front of their mouth, but instead they manage to puke all over everything else (including YOU) in sight!?!? So Dean threw up for about 8 hours, then he acted like he felt like crap for several days too.

I thought we were all over the sickness by the end of that week, but Dean has had this lingering cough for a little over a month now. It hasn't been bad and it's mostly at night or during naptime, so I hadn't really thought much of it (thinking it was probably just drainage or post-nasal drip or something like that). But ever since the stomach bug incident, he had been getting these random fevers that would last a few days, then about the time I'd decide maybe I should call the doctor he'd snap out of it and be fine for a few days. Last Wednesday (the day of our much-anticipated Field Trip to the Fire Station - more to come on that in another post) he seemed normal when he woke up and we headed to the Fire Station for his first Field Trip. Well, he was extra fussy, but I thought it was just because it wasn't his normal routine and the other kids in his class all seemed pretty out of sorts too. After the Field Trip, he went on to school and I enjoyed my day. I got a call mid-afternoon from his teacher that Dean suddenly looked flushed and had a fever of 104.5 degrees!! YIKES! So my Mom went to pick him up and drove him home to our house while I called the pediatrician. They got him an appointment in the Urgent Care Clinic that evening. What an ordeal!! We saw one of my favorite Family Practice docs at Kaiser, Dr. Bajon, who ordered blood work and a chest x-ray. Oh man!! I NEVER want to have to go through that again!! It took 3 of us to hold him down for them to draw 2 small vials of blood and then we had to go to X-ray. He was pretty traumatized by then and already very upset and obviously just felt like crap. The guy wanted him to sit perfectly still on this little stool with his back against this board and his hands in his lap and looking straight ahead. Yeah right! That wasn't happening AT ALL, so they had to strap him into this little clear plastic tube thing - they shoved him feet first down into this tube with his legs dangling and his crotch resting on this little bar. The tube was very tight around his entire torso with his arms held over his head (I think the purpose was just to hold him still so they could get the x-ray). Anyway, we were at Kaiser for several hours (and it was SUPPOSED to be my day off!!! ha ha!) and the diagnosis was pneumonia. They started him that night on anti-biotics and he seems to be doing much better now other than a nasty case of diarrhea (expected side effect of the anti-biotics we were told) and then of course a terrible diaper rash from that. This afternoon he woke up crying from his nap and walked in, doing this awkward wide-leg walk, and came in and said in this sad little voice "Mommy, my penis hurts and my butt hurts too". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry with him!!

Anyway, sorry for the long update. He's going to be fine. We're just all very exhausted!!

So how about some pics?

Swinging at Keopuolani Park several weeks ago. Dean has figured out how to "pump" his legs on the swings and now all he wants to do is swing!!!

Here's Dean right after we got home from Urgent Care last Wednesday, passed out on the couch! So sad. You can see the little bandage on his arm where they took blood and the dribble down his shirt where he spit out his medicine (we finally decided to just mix it with his milk):
Feeling better this weekend and helping decorate cupcakes:
And REALLY excited to eat a cupcake:

No comments: