Sunday, January 18, 2009

Early Morning at Baldwin Beach

Yep, that's right!!! TWO posts in one day! I wanted to catch up and I think this does it!!!

Last Wednesday was such a beautiful day and since I don't work on Wednesdays, Dean and I decided to head to the North Shore in Paia and hang out at Baldwin Beach. There was supposed to be a big Northwest Swell coming in and we wanted to check out the surf (but it was pretty lame as you can see in the pics, I think we were early). We had a fun hour at the beach - Dean was REALLY excited about the big pile of sand in front of the lifeguard tower and all of the seaweed that was washed up on the beach - we normally head to the beach on the South Side and don't get much seaweed, so that was a treat for him!! Thought I'd share just a few pics...Oh, and all of my Okie friends and mainland family will get a kick out of this. On Thursday they announced that all public schools on Maui, Lanai and Molokai as well as County and State offices would be closed on Friday in ANTICIPATION of severe weather. What defines severe weather on Maui you might ask?? According to the online newscenter "possible heavy rains and wind gusts up to 40 mph". Yep. That's right. Pretty scary, huh??? HA! Now I will say that we did get quite a bit of rain (not what I would call SEVERE), but the funniest thing was hearing the County Official lady on the radio Thursday night saying something along the lines of "we were concerned that with wind gusts that high - possibly up to 40 mph - there would be a danger of school buses being blown off the road or blown over". OMG. The wind blows 40 mph pretty much CONSTANTLY in Oklahoma if I remember correctly (I won't even talk about the gusts) and I've never seen a school bus blown over and I'm pretty sure I never got out of school because it was windy!!! We never would have went to school! Anyway, we got a good laugh out of that. Joel was pretty excited to get a 4-day weekend (since he's employed by the Dept of Education)!!

No comments: